Monday, August 15, 2011

Joseph Wolverton Visits Arizona Opera Once Again!

I have a long history with this role of Turiddu in Cavalleria Rusticana. Growing up in the suburbs of Chicago, my childhood was filled with music.  You see, my father was passionate about singing and especially Italian opera.  We would religiously listen to the Saturday broadcast from the Met, and all other times there were records (yes, I am that old) to enjoy.  I began to sing along with these recordings and the rest, as they say, is history.  The reason I tell you this is that when I was asked to sing this role, I immediately opened the score to see all the music that was unfamiliar to me, only to find that I knew the entire role from hearing it in my home through the years!

Once while performing Turiddu, I was singing my farewell to my mother (Addio alla Madre) when my suit coat button got tangled in my mothers shawl, and I spent the majority of the aria trying to extricate myself so I could make my exit.  I think it must have looked like a wrestling match.

I also have a history in Phoenix.  I have sung three productions for the Arizona Opera (Pinkerton and twice Rodolfo), as well as singing with the symphony numerous times with Doc Severinsen, performing an evening of Italian popular songs.  I  performed under Theo Alcantara for those of you who are long time attendees of the symphony.

No comments:

Post a Comment