Monday, August 29, 2011

Baritone Mark Walters' Plea to Placido!

This will be my second time to sing the role of Valentin in Faust.  It is one of 10 roles that I have been fortunate to have studied with renowned American Baritone Sherrill Milnes.  I’m really excited about working with the excellent cast lined up for this production.


One of Valentin’s main concerns in the opera is protecting his younger sister.  My younger sister, Stephanie, actually lives in the Phoenix area.  We don’t get to see each other very often and I am looking forward to spending time with her and her husband, Brad, and my 2 young nephews – Tyler and Parker.

I love to hike when I’m on the road and am eager to explore the trails in the area.  I’m also a novice golfer and will bring my clubs with me to hit a course or two with my brother-in-law.
 
What got me started in music?  

My mother’s uncle was a local French Horn teacher and she encouraged me to join the public school band in 4th grade.  I wasn’t too interested in joining band - until LeAnn, the blond-haired, blue-eyed, Baptist preacher’s daughter who lived across the street joined band in 5th grade.  I then announced to my mother that I thought I’d like to give band a try.J  It didn’t workout with LeAnn, but music stuck in a big way.

Coolest gig that I wasn’t able to take? 

Placido Domingo asked me to understudy him in Simon Boccanegra in Los Angeles this coming January. Unfortunately, I was already booked to sing the title role in Rigoletto in Miami at the same time. 

Placido – please give me a call the next time you need a baritone cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment