Monday, August 8, 2011

Get to know Peter Volpe and his history with the role of Ramphis in Aida

My relationship with Aida by now has been a long and happy one!  I was first exposed to the opera as a young boy.  I had been listening to opera and favorite singers since 1973 or so, and the operas of Verdi always had, and still have for me, a particular allure.  It was sometime around then I first listened to Aida and became familiar with it.  I recognized that there were two bass roles that I might someday be able to do....my voice changed when I was very young, and I was already a bass by then.  By the time I was twenty-two, my first performance opportunity with Aida had arrived.  I was to sing the role of the King of Egypt in a concert performance of the opera at Carnegie hall in New York City with the Manhattan Philharmonic.  Talk about trial by fire!!  I am happy to report that it went very well and that performance led to many, many more as the King. 

By the time I was 35, I had matured enough to take on the other bass role, Ramphis...the bigger one!  I was lucky to be successful as Ramphis as well and this led to  more productions of Aida and much more opportunity to hone my Ramphis skills!  Aida has been very good to me over the years and I am thrilled to be performing in it with the Arizona Opera! 
    
When I am not performing and find a break in my schedule, I enjoy being at my home in upstate New York with my wife, where  I own a 90 acre farm which keeps me busy, happy and in good shape!  There is always plenty of work to be done and for me, coming home and getting my hands dirty keeps me balanced.  I have had a very fortunate and happy relationship with the Arizona Opera over the last 12 years, and I am always elated  to return to work for this esteemed company.  I do receive a personal perk when I am in Arizona, and that is my in-laws have retired to Phoenix and it gives me a wonderful opportunity to visit with them and take them to a show. Over the years they have seen me in many performances in Phoenix, and they very much look forward to me singing with Arizona Opera.....as do I!! "  

1 comment:

  1. I have lived in Phoenix for 20 years, and have yet to see an Arizona Opera performance! Born and raised in Oregon by an opera-loving mother (who almost named me AIDA) I can't believe I have been missing out on this Arizona experience... THIS is the year! Maybe if I'm very lucky, I can catch this glorious man in the role of Ramphis... or Don Giovani... or anything for that matter! My mother is gone now... but she instilled in me an appreciation for Opera that I will forever be grateful for! By the way... if you need a place to stay, my home is always open Mr. Volpe!

    ReplyDelete